Sunday, September 16, 2007

Ghazal on the Inner Harbor



The world exists   for what you know
come clear my mists   for what you know!

some scale the heights of worldly ease
some slash their wrists   for what you know

the water of the harbor shines
my hope persists   for what you know

recruiters spread their poison nets
a lad enlists   for what you know

some copulate in wild desire
some pound their fists   for what you know

some sing majestic hymns   some brood
as parodists   for what you know

some take monastic vows   some visit
  therapists   for what you know

some feed the flame of inward prayer
some lips are kissed   for what you know

the poet chants like some demented
  hypnotist   for what you know

the lover seeks for union
in the secret tryst   for what you know

the wedding is pictorially
a symbolist   for what you know

as years appear & fade   I'm lost
in surging wist   for what you know

the writer's eyes glint glad with
a dramatic twist   for what you know

like Raphael   I'll crush my life
still grinding grist   for what you know



Baltimore, Maryland
(afternoon, 15 September 2007)

2 comments:

The Wizard of Odd said...

lovely. I like the tone very much, that pent up feel-- im not so sure about "symbolist" though. Somehow the word grates slightly... we can play word jumble with it, or maybe I just need to nap now :)

works very well. "my hope persists for what you know"

:)

David Raphael Israel said...

Grazie wiz!

Good critique -- I've now tweaked the symbolist couplet (altering phrasing to give a different heft). Originally was "the wedding is illustrative / as symbolist..." -- and I think perhaps the problem was more with "is illustrative as" than with symbolist. :-) Comparing, concur?

cheers, d.i.