Monday, October 29, 2007

ghazal ("the rhythm of your song")


I haven't yet caught   the rhythm   of your song
though having long sought   the rhythm   of your song

in the annals of night   we read how even your friends
initially fought the rhythm   of your song

in every village   they play in pools   of your color
where murthis are wraught   in rhythms   of your song

light's history is preserved   in the banyon's shadow
where students are taught   the rhythm   of your song

where kettles are filled   with water   from this stream
there whistles a pot   in rhythm   with your song

while my hair grows thin   my heart still longs to find you
there thickens a plot   in rhythm   with your song

wherever I look   I see enigmatic pictures
all hover in naught   in rhythm   with your song

not yet have I reached   the city   of your secret
I am still en route   in rythm   with your song

a surprising twist   curls out   from the branch that's breathing
no one learned by rote   all rhythms   of your song

each syllable finds the ridge or groove of feeling
chistled out by thought   in rhythm with your song

from a distant mountain   to her exotic shop
has a merchant brought   the rhythm   of your song?

Raphael   whose pockets kept   dull coins of thinking
perceptively bought   the rhythm   of your song

No comments: