Friday, May 1, 2009

ghazal: "monsoon cocoon"


Siliguri   the following day   the border again being closed
hints of monsoon   on entering May   the border again being closed

at six in the morn   the rains commence   the surpeti's drone all but drowned
Delhi Hotel   extending my stay   the border again being closed

expressing my love for India   through leaving her at her command
does she yet harbor   something to say?   the border again being closed

my passport booklet gathers its stamps   betokening every move
Asian montage   in freeze-frame today   the border again being closed

I'd put off washing clothes   now these rains!   unless they cease how will things dry?
monsoon cocoon   holds me in its sway   the border again being closed

some Vaishnav preacher's loudspeaker's blare   is dampened by all of this rain
stray honking horns command "time to pray   the border again being closed"

without embrace   our parting proved spare   will you embrace me with your heart?
it seems I can't   get too far away   the border again being closed

you paint blue ovals day after day   your meditation takes this form
I meanwhile sing   Bhairo's roundalay   the border again being closed

Darjeeling tea again let me brew   sweetened by Narendrapur bees
Ramakrishna   sees Kali-Ma's play   the border again being closed

like Raphael's   my sojourn grows strange   the unexpected is its rule
I pine to reach   a realm far away   the border again being closed

No comments: